Whole Body Cryotherapy technique has undergone several studies to assess its efficacy as an alternative, adjunctive method of treating anxiety, depressive and sleep disorders. Below is a list of 10 benefits of cryotherapy for mental health issues that had been observed :
1. Increased levels of endorphins: Endorphins are a group of hormones within our nervous system and brain that activate our ability to produce a feeling of well-being and analgesic effect (pain relief). They typically get triggered by exercise or other exciting activities such as sex, and help boost your mood and sharpen your cognitive functions. The release of endorphins via cryogenic chamber assists in the reduction of various mental health issues.
2. Mood enhancement: The rush of endorphins in the blood following Whole Body Cryotherapy cold sauna sessions leads to immediate mood enhancement. Mental health benefits of cryotherapy sessions lead to long term stabilization of mood, making this a valuable treatment for short and long term results.
3. Decreased symptoms of depression: Studies have shown Whole Body Cryotherapy treatments to decrease symptoms of depression and fight mood – related mental health issues and depressive disorders overall.
4. Decreased release of cortisol: Studies on the mental health benefits of cryotherapy have shown its effectiveness in decreasing the release of the stress hormone cortisol, leading to immediate reduction in stress levels.
5. Long-term stress and anxiety reduction: Routine use of Whole Body Cryotherapy has potential long term benefits for overall stress reduction and management. Considerations are underway in the medical community to make cryotherapy a standard part of stress and anxiety treatment practices.
6. Reduced pharmaceutical drug intake: An alarmingly increasing number of people relies on prescription sleep medication. Regular use of Whole Body Cryotherapy treatments may reduce the need for pharmaceutical drugs, alternatively relying on the body’s natural mechanisms to ward off stress and anxiety symptoms. This treatment is the safest and healthiest approach to treating sleep disorders, thereby avoiding the need for addictive and potentially hazardous pharmaceutical drugs.
7. Stabilized sleep patterns: Recent studies suggest that over 50 million Americans suffer from sleep deprivation. Cryo treatment sessions can work to stabilize erratic sleep patterns by helping patients achieve a prolonged period of rest. Repeated treatments will minimize sleep disturbances over time, easing the patient’s transition into sleep, making bed-time a source of anxiety no more!
8. Corrected central nervous system processes: Studies indicate that Whole Body Cryotherapy can help treat an array of sleep disorders and other related mental health issues by correcting processes in the central nervous system.
9. Elevated serotonin levels: Mental health benefits of cryotherapy also extend to treat central fatigue by elevating levels of serotonin.
10. Improved immune system and reduced risk of illnesses: Poor sleep, especially including chronic sleep disorders, negatively affects your immune system. Sleep problems increase levels of ghrelin, a hunger-triggering hormone, and have a potentially significant bearing on metabolic disorders such as obesity and type 2 diabetes. Insufficient or poor quality sleep is related to a decreased production of melatonin, insulin resistance, and eventually even weight gain. These three factors alone contribute to the increased risk of such severe illnesses and mental health issues such as depression, hypertension, infections (viral and bacterial), stomach ulcers, and even prostate and breast cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.