Living with acute or chronic pain can be debilitating and affect all areas of life. While there are a variety of treatments available, many people are turning to cryotherapy for pain management. Cryotherapy involves exposing the body to extremely cold temperatures for a short period of time. The benefits of cryotherapy extend beyond pain relief, as it can also enhance athletic performance, boost metabolism, and improve overall health and well-being.
In this article, we’ll explore 10 pain relief benefits of cryotherapy and how it can be used to manage chronic pain. Whether you’re an athlete looking to enhance performance or someone living with chronic pain, cryotherapy may be an effective option for you.
10 Cryotherapy for Pain Management Benefits
1. Anti-inflammatory effect: Regular Whole Body Cryotherapy treatment sessions inhibit the incidence of inflammations, both internally and externally. Cryosauna helps to repress inflammatory signs and symptoms of dermatitis and other inflammatory diseases, including rheumatic inflammation of joints, psoriatic arthritis.
2. Analgesic effect: Whole Body Cryotherapy triggers the release of endorphins which induce an analgesic effect, resulting in immediate pain relief. Furthermore, according to studies regular cryosauna treatments lead to frequent increase in norepinephrine. This results in alleviation of pain, making cryotherapy for pain management an ideal natural therapy.
3. Effective injury therapy: Cryotherapy for pain management treatments promote the accelerated healing of muscles, tendons and joints following an injury, be it sports-related or accidental. Regular cryosauna procedures lead to restoration of motor functions and heal nerve damage.
4. Reduced recovery time: Cryotherapy dramatically reduces recovery time post surgery and injury, including sports injuries. This is thanks to the anti-inflammatory effect of the rapid cooling of the body that inhibits inflammations and reduces pain and swelling, thus speeding up the recovery.
5. Reduced sports haemolysis: A research study of ten rugby players of the Italian National Team, conducted at the Olympic Rehabilitation Center of Spała in Poland in 2008, that Whole Body Cryotherapy reduces sports haemolysis. By measuring hematological parameters of the athletes, the study concluded that cryotherapy prevents the physiological impairments derived from haemolysis, which is caused by the breakdown of red blood cells.
6. Rheumatoid diseases symptoms relief: Alleviates joint pain and symptoms associated with arthritis, tendinitis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and chronic back and neck pain. Clinical studies confirm the inactivation of the collagenase enzyme during Cryotherapy, which decreases the tendon tissue in rheumatic diseases.
7. Pain relief in 2 months: Studies show that cryotherapy for pain management treatments trigger a significant reduction of pain related to rheumatoid diseases over a two month period.
8. Fibromyalgia symptoms relief: The surge of endorphins in the blood following cryosauna/cryogenic chamber sessions reduce muscle spasms and twitching. Blood tests indicate that the immediate analgesic effects of skin cooling last for weeks, suppressing heightened pain responses. Studies show that cold chamber therapy acts in favor of increased pain threshold as well as actual pain symptoms by lowering the skin temperature and blocking the pain receptors. This, in turn, causes a breakage in the connection between the nerves and tissue.
9. Recognized add-on treatment: The short-term relief of pain triggered by cryotherapy pain management treatment sessions allows an intensification of physiotherapy and occupational therapy. Cryotherapy is now a standard part of comprehensive treatment of rheumatologic diseases in European medicine.
10. Chronic pain management: Whole Body Cryotherapy for pain management technique has shown promising results in relieving chronic pain not only for arthritis, fibromyalgia and other rheumatoid diseases, but also due to migraines, muscle soreness, multiple sclerosis, and chronic pain syndromes. Increased blood circulation and energy and strength incurred following repeated cryosauna treatments, along with numerous complimentary mental health effects, promote general wellness and reduced occurrence of chronic pain.
Cryosauna in the Media: